In the recent years or so, many changes were seen with respect to search engine optimization respectively. That is Google provided updates through the changes in terms of search algorithms such as Panda, Penguin and Hummingbird. Such changes or strategies affect the SEO practices and also impact the link building online for many websites.
But many marketers and social media managers are unaware of not only SEO Process, but other aspects such as web crawling, indexing, poor SEO practices in addition to risky links too. Since Google is stringent towards link building and the quality of the links, many marketers are preparing to remove the negativity or negative signals associated with the existing types of links. This means eliminating poor quality content and focusing on linking to high quality content which can be searched and linked easily by the users.
Web Crawling and Indexing
When it comes to web crawling, then there is a web crawler, a program meant for browsing the internet in an automated and methodical manner. This process is called web crawling or spidering. Without professional management of crawling and the indexing, online companies cannot maintain effective web visibility across different platforms and various digital marketing assets.
The different web search engines use crawling to update their softwares or to index their website content. Web crawler or crawlers have the ability to copy all the visited webpages which can be processed later on through a particular search engine. Then the search engine indexes the downloaded pages which can be searched and viewed by the users respectively.
Reasons for using web crawling
- Testing or evaluation of web pages and links for valid structure and syntax.
- Monitoring of websites to determine when their structure or content gets changed.
- Searching the web for infringements.
- Maintaining a few mirror sites for different popular websites.
- Producing a special-purpose index. For instance, an index which can understand the content stored on various multimedia files on the web.
Many of the SEO Services as offered by marketers are not really taking care about the crawling and indexing of the content which they produce. If they have a SEO consultant, then these jobs are managed in professional way. Professional SEO consultants make the web crawling easier by focusing on position where they want to be placed and keeping an eye on which sort of crawlers can be used.
Challenges for implementing Web Crawling
There are two situations for social media managers or marketers, where web crawling becomes difficult for them. They are given as follows;
1. Huge Volume of Web Pages: By huge volume it means that a web crawler can only download certain number of web pages which is tough seeing the process of downloading and the time it takes to download a web page.
2. Rate of Change of the Webpages: This refers to the time when new web pages get added or the content gets updated on the web. So by the time a web crawler is downloading one web page, a new web page gets visible on the search engine.
Strategies for implementing Web Crawling
SEO Experts can crawl the web in scalable manner focusing on the quality of the content, the links and enabling a web crawler to visit only specific web pages.
The three different strategies for the deployment of web crawling are mentioned below.
- Choosing a professional algorithm.
When an algorithm is selected, the implementer usually ensure that the web pages are selected depending upon their hierarchy. The can be checked in terms of number of visits, number of links and even the URL.
The two algorithms for crawling which can be chosen are as follows;
1. Path-Ascending Crawling: In this type of crawling, the SEO Consultant usually ensures that the crawler can download as many web pages as possible from a specific website. For instance, if there is a seed URL of http://website.com.au/a/b/page.html, then crawling is in the form of /a/b/, /a/, and / respectively as mentioned by SEO Sydney | SEO Company Sydney .
Through Path Ascending Crawling, isolated resources or web pages can easily be found or even those can be searched which do not have a defined inbound link.
2. Focused crawling:The effect of a webpage for a web crawler can be sought as the function of the similarity of a web page for a given query. Through focused web crawling, an implementer can enable a web crawler to download webpages which are identical to each other.
But the issue is in finding the similar webpages to the query before the downloading process begins. This can be done by using the entire content of the webpages which have been visited before to determine the similarity for the specific query to those webpages which have not been visited as yet.
- Working on an actionable strategy which defines revisiting webpages and checking for updates.
What a professional SEO expert does is that he incorporates either of the following two strategies.
1. All webpages in a single collection are revisited with the same frequency without checking the rates of changes pertaining to new content or software update.
2. Webpages which show more changes frequently are revisited more often.
- Strategy to minimize the overloading of websites.
The implementers or marketers understand that the web crawlers can retrieve data much quickly than the human beings. This means that much load on server in coping up with the huge number of requests from multiple crawlers.
Though the use of web crawler has many effects but it comes with a price. But there is a way to manage the overloading of websites by using robots exclusion protocol or the robots.txt protocol. This protocol is considered as means to prevent cooperating web spiders from accessing the whole or part of a particular website.